JO HATHERLY’S “RUNNING IN CIRCLES” WINS $2,500 CASH PRIZE
- Press Release
Jo Hatherly is a former journalist with the Times Colonist newspaper whose work has been published across Canada. She is a Canadian Association of Journalism finalist for her coverage on the national DNA databank, a national short-fiction finalist and author of a Swiss travel blog followed by readers from over 150 countries. Born in Manitoba, she has lived in Spain, Australia, the United States and Switzerland. She lives in Victoria and cottages in Ontario. She was a Short Prose Competition finalist in 2014 with her story “The Canal Duckling” and in 2016 with “The Swimmer.” She is currently working on a book inspired by cottage guestbook entries and the untold stories behind them. Learn more at www.johatherly.com.
“Running in Circles” by Jo Hatherly, Victoria, BC
Of the piece, the jury remarked, “This story is filled with assured and beautiful writing, unique images and word choices. Suspenseful to the point of riveting, it moves from a place of safety to darkness and possible death in the space of a moment. Cunningly plotted and well characterized; deftly told with a sardonic edge to the very credible details.”
- All for Robby, Barbara Baker, Calgary, AB
- Urchin, Anni Bartlett, Hamilton, ON
- No Entry, Colin Brezicki, Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON
- Child Bride, Deborah Elderhorst, Toronto, ON
- Served Cold, Stephen Hunt, Battersea, ON
- Beijing Spring, Ivy Lerner-Frank, Ottawa, ON
- Hook an Anger, Tara McGuire, North Vancouver, BC
- Confession, Mohammed Mia, Toronto, ON
- Laundry Day, Christina Myers, Surrey, BC
- Silver Boxes, Tatiana Peet, Edmonton, AB
- Things I Miss # 12, Suzie Taylor, Harbour Grace, NL
The 25th annual Short Prose Competition is supported by Sure Print & Design.
The Writers’ Union of Canada is our country’s national organization representing professional authors of books. Founded in 1973, the Union is dedicated to fostering writing in Canada, and promoting the rights, freedoms and economic well-being of all writers. For more information, please visit www.writersunion.ca.
For additional information:
Valerie Laws, Office Administrator
The Writers’ Union of Canada
416-703-8982 Ext. 226, email@example.com
DATE: June 15, 2018